Thursday 6 November 2008

The Mercado Gravesend Haunting

The Mercado Gravesend Haunting Image
A retired Gravesend nurse's unbelievably spooky tale about living in a haunted house is now reality TV.

Elaine Mercado, 64, says she spent 22 years living with ghosts who terrorized her and her family in their old Queen Ann-style home on East 9th St.

Mercado's spooky tale was featured on the SyFy network's show "Paranormal Witness" about close encounters with ghosts on Wednesday.

"Things happened that we just couldn't explain," said Mercado, 64, who wrote a book about her ghostly experience called Grave's End

"Sometimes I would cry. [The house] would be charming if it wasn't so creepy," said Mercado.

The retired emergency room nurse from Coney Island Hospital first moved into the house in 1982 with her two young daughters and her first husband - and she immediately felt like she was being watched when there was no one else in the room.

Soon, she had a creepy feeling a ghost was pressing down on her chest and stomach while she would sleep.

After her daughter saw a strange man who was sitting at the top of the stairs disappear, Mercado called paranormal psychologist Hans Holzer and a medium for help.

They told her the home was full of the ghosts, including a bride who mysteriously died in the home's attic and still wore her wedding dress.

After Mercado's mother died, she put the spooky house up for sale so she and her husband Matthew could move in with her elderly father.

Mercado told the new owners the house was haunted and even gave them a copy of her book but said they were not scared.

Years later, the owners of the house say they still have not seen any spooks, specters or apparitions in the home.

"After we moved in I remember hearing a bunch of footsteps upstairs and getting scared. But then I remembered I had four kids in the house," said the current owner who declined to give her name. "We renovated [the house] and that must have took [the ghosts] out."

Mercado sometimes drives to the block and wonders if the ghosts still exist and said she understands if her horror story is too much to believe.

"If someone were telling me these stories without having experienced what I've experienced, I'd probably say the same thing," said Mercado. "It's okay if you don't believe." - nydailynews

NOTE: Marisa Anderson, a psychic consultant and medium from Scarsdale, NY and parapsychologist Hans Holzer cleansed the house in 1995. The presentation on 'Paranormal Witness' doesn't go into much detail on how the case was researched and handled, which is unfortunate. A few years ago, I examined this case and, honestly, it was conducted in a very familiar manner...it paralleled procedures used by Spirit Rescue International in our past and current investigations and clearings...especially the use of coordinate, scientific and psychic remote viewing.

The 'Paranormal Witness' presentation was entertaining but lacked reality in describing the actual events. I suggest that you read the book Grave's Endand make your own judgement.

Elaine Mercado in a 2010 interview: Now, at some point - and this was after I was writing the book - I got a lot more confident as the years went by in that something was in our house. I wasn't crazy; my kids weren't nuts; something was in my house. So I decided to ask my neighbor about it. I had already asked my neighbor on the left, and he just laughed at me so I didn't bother him anymore. But the one on my right... we were closer. I asked him, "Tony, did anything strange that you know of ever happen here?" He said, "What took you so long to ask me?" He said that he used to baby-sit there when he was a teenager, and he heard the footsteps and all the noises. Then he refused to baby-sit there anymore. Not just that, but he said a little lady died upstairs in my daughter's bedroom. You know, this still affects me.

I asked him what he meant, and he said that the old couple's son married a very, very petite woman. She was 18 or 20 at the time, and Tony was a young boy. He remembers how "wonderfully tiny" her waist was. She was standing on our stoop posing for pictures when they got married. Then she moved in upstairs on the third floor, which eventually was Karen's room. So apparently a few years later this woman died. Some people said it was a heart attack; some people said she hit her head on the night table and had an aneurysm. He never really got the story straight.

So, that's three objective corroborations of this lady in the little dress. Then, after hearing the story, how sad was I about it. Oh my God, there was pain here. And sadness. And Tony also said that at some point the son also died. Someone said drowning; someone else said heart attack. So now I zoom back in my head to the old woman who lived here before who was very sad. Well, why shouldn't she be sad? Look at what happened in her life. So she wasn't just a little old lady anymore. She was that sadness that I felt looking at her that day.

Keywords: family ghost story  apparitions afterlife  theories beings  bardsley ghost  versailles slip  stories about  explains how ghosts  paranormal biz  researchers jim not  

No comments:

Post a Comment